[3830] ARRL FD K1LT 1B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K1LT 1B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 03:19:02 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Scoring reminder: 1387 * 2 * 2 + 250 = 5798

I thought I had performed fairly decently until I looked at my 3830
post from last year which says I claimed 1528 QSOs.  That sure beats
this year's 1385 QSOs.

I set up everything in the barn the same as before: 25 foot high
80-meter open-wire fed dipole strung between the house and a pole
leaning on a tree and a full sized 40-meter vertical with 32 radials.
Having 2 antennas allows diversity receive which gets around the K3's
intermittent main receiver.  Also I omitted the 6 meter station to
make setup easier.

My dipole is an 80-meter dipole paralleled by a 40-meter wire
separated 3 inches with PVC spacers.  Last year I "improved" the
spacers which helped the dipole make a better match on 40 meters using
the Johnson Viking KW Matchbox.

Unlike last year, 15 was very thin the first afternoon and I noticed
nothing on 10 at all.  On 20 it was very hard to be heard and for some
unknown reason the 40 meter vertical heard terrible broadband hash.
Fortunately, the dipole tuned up on 40 very well and worked great.

While the high bands were slow until 4 or 5pm, 40 meters played very
well in the early evening and into the night.  80 meters was quiet but
there seemed to be fewer signals.

Went to sleep at 2am expecting the sun to wake me at 6am sunrise.
However, the house shadowed me and I didn't wake up until 6:30.

The high bands were very active Sunday morning until about noon, but
maybe not quite as nice as last year.  20 played well for the last
couple of hours, finishing with a bang completely unlike the dud
conditions the day before.

No KH6 or KL7, and no Nevada!  Best DX was DL and HA on 40 and 20, PY2
on 20 and FY5 on 15.  Lots of KP2s and KP4s.  No VE6 or northern
provinces.

Without actually comparing the logs, I would have to guess that the
crappy Saturday afternoon high band conditions slowed me down a bit
and the longer nap didn't help either.

The generator ran out of gas only once, fortunately between QSOs.
Running the fan to keep cool probably used gas faster than I allowed.

Since the dipole worked so well on 40, maybe next year I'll skip the
vertical and put up a Beverage instead.  350 feet should work nicely
on 40 and 80 for the second receiver.

Equipment: Elecraft K3 and P3, Samlex power supply, old laptop with
the one true serial port, new "clone" IBM Model M keyboard, old Acer
LCD monitor because the laptop screen is too far away, Johnson Viking
KW Matchbox, 80-meter dipole, 40 meter vertical over 32 radials.

I should qualify for the 100% emergency power, W1AW bulletin, and web
submission bonuses (250 points) which is included in the 3830 post.