[3830] ARRL FD K8BB 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8bb@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K8BB 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 03:42:44 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Just a "Lazy Mans's Field Day" for me: haul spare rig to back porch,
connect dipole antenna via coax extension from shack, and operate. However, the
old (and I mean OLD) laptop logging computer I used is holding my log file
hostage, so I may not be able to submit an entry after all; the floppy
"A" drive is not responding, there is no network interface, and it
predates USB. I may try to scrounge up an LPT printer to possibly print off the
ARRL-required dupe sheet via DOS commands? Otherwise, it was an interesting
exercise, but all for naught (hihi).

We experienced severe rain and flooding here in the Detroit area in the days
preceding this weekend, and numerous local clubs made the difficult decision to
cancel their Field Day operations in light of more impending storms and various
clean-up efforts.

It was interesting (to me) to note the very large number of 1D stations worked -
my "armchair estimate" is that probably 25% of my log is other 1D
QSOs. Provided that it's known to be safe to interact in a more traditional
context next year, I assume the "easy 1D operation" will be gone
again. (My old logging computer allowed me to log 1D QSOs, but it counted them
as "0" points as I was configured as a 1D station; I simply adjusted
my setting to 1A to get it to calculate those points correctly.)