[3830] ARRL 160 KF6NCX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KF6NCX Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 05:25:28 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: KF6NCX
Operator(s): KF6NCX
Station: KF6NCX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SV
Operating Time (hrs): 5.25

Total:  QSOs = 71  Sections = 28  Countries = 1  Total Score = 3,976

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks for the Qs. This was fun. Until now, I've been limited to running 100
watts into an antenna not designed for 160 meters. With the help of Ken, K6MR,
my son, Jevon, KE6YLH, designed an inverted L antenna that would work on my city
lot. We put it up the weekend before the contest. It is definitely a compromise.
A 25-foot mast holds up the vertical end of a 120-foot wire. From the top of the
mast, the wire droops over my backyard. Jevon rigged up a way to connect it to
the chimney, from which it slants off at an angle and attaches to a rope which
drops over the roof and is attached to a small tree. The part of the antenna
that runs over the house is only a couple of feet above the roof.

Nevertheless, the antenna worked and is a definite improvement over my 130-foot
end-fed wire, which was made for 10 through 80 meters. I was able to put 500
watts into the inverted L. The end-fed wire got me around the West Coast on 160.
The inverted L enabled me to reach such DX locations as STX, MN, and even once
into OH. Now I can't wait for the upcoming Stew! 73, Larry