[3830] ARRL June VHF W1UE(@W1KM) SO 3Band-All Modes LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, egan.dennis88@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W1UE(@W1KM) SO 3Band-All Modes LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:35:17 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  200   115  Total Score = 23,000

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My time on 6M this past weekend exceeds my total operating time on 6m in the 5+
years I've been a ham?  So, I have to assume that 6m propagation is always that
good?  Am I right?

Several weeks ago, I put up D3W WARC dipole (actually, W1KM put the dipole up, I
just did all the prep work).  Goal was to get on the WARC bands for FT4/8 fun.
On a lark, knowing this contest was coming up, I tried to tune it up on 6m.  To
my surprise, it tuned easily with the built in antenna tuner in the K3.  I now
had 6M available on the remote station, using the 100 watts through 140ft of
LMR400 to a D3W Dipole at 35ft or so.  No rotation of the antenna, but who knows
what kind of pattern I was getting?  All I knew was that it took power and I
could work some guys.  Coming off the ARRL IDC contest last weekend, I knew that
the FT4/8 computer worked well, so I set up to operate.

I got on about 2200z on Saturday afternoon, and heard a number of Europeans.
Didn't work any- they couldn't hear me- but I was surprised to hear them on the
jury-rigged setup that I was using.  I called stations, and called CQ, mixing it
up to try and keep the "rate" up.  By the time I went to bed Saturday,
I had 100 stations in the log.  Only 1 DX station, HI3MM, but lots of Midwest
USA stations.  More than that, I was having enough success that I kept with it
because it was fun!

I got back on the band about 0900 and worked just a few stations- almost all
local- between then and my departure to play with the grandkids.  I returned
about 1640z, and found the band was open to Europe.  This time, I not only heard
them, I was able to work them!  Over the next several hours, I was able to work
37 Europeans in 15 countries (I included EA8 in with that).  This was actually
fun!  No, it wasn't easy- it took a number of repeats for a number of those
QSOs, but they were accomplished!  I'm pretty sure I made it into their logs
from the exchanges that were made.

Later on that afternoon, I head a number of East Coast ops working JA.  I never
heard a JA- and never worked one- but if the screen prints were any indication,
a lot of ops were able to work JA during this contest.

I finished with 200 QSOs and 115 grids.  Not a great score, but considering my
setup I was more than pleased.

Can I now assume that 6M propagation is always like this?

Dennis W1UE