[3830] ARRL 160 KT4XA(@NV4B) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KT4XA(@NV4B) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 13:00:47 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: KT4XA
Operator(s): K4CNY NV4B
Station: NV4B

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Alabama
Operating Time (hrs): 24:18

Total:  QSOs = 680  Sections = 67  Countries = 8  Total Score = 103,800

Club:

Comments:

de NV4B:  We managed to make 11 more QSOs than last year in almost the same
amount of operating time, although fewer mults resulted in about 4.5k fewer
points.

A new noise source since last year's 160m 'test made this one particularly
challenging.  Our apologies to those we couldn't pull out of the noise.
Fortunately, the noise seemed to be significantly worse on our receive antenna,
but the "hamfest special" phaser I bought a few years ago but had
never tried to use until Friday night did not seem to be working.  That, along
with a ZL opening on 6 meters, pulled me away from the contest for almost two
hours on Friday night.

I ended up getting practically zero sleep during the day on Friday, so I was
done before midnight on Saturday night, but K4CNY stepped up and ran all night
long, enduring the QRN and low rates to get our QSO total up to last year's
numbers and beyond.

The highlight of the contest was getting called by OM2VL.  I recognized Laci
from his support of the Alabama QSO Party and many AQP QSOs over the years.
Other DX included C6, DL, G, PJ2, V3, VP5, and ZF.

I'm dedicating this effort to my friend Steve Carr, NE0U, who became an SK on
August 22.  I corresponded with Steve regularly and rarely failed to work him in
a 160m contest.  His "EZ-L" inverted-L design has helped me and many
of my fellow "little pistols" improve their 160m signals.  He was a
great source of encouragement and advice for my DXing efforts, and I miss him.

Rig:  ICOM IC-7610
TX Antenna:  NE0U "EZ-L" inverted L with one ground radial, vertical
portion up ~95'
RX Antenna:  KK5JY Loop on Ground, 100'