[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7HKR SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7HKR SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 01:51:39 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    0     0
   80:   13    11
   40:   48    27
   20:   40    22
   15:  100    46
   10:  158    47
-------------------
Total:  359   153  Total Score = 164,781

Club:

Comments:

2el on 10 and 15 at 30ft, 33ft vertical on 40/80/160 and shortened for 20; 100W,
IC-7300, from AZ

Wow!  This is the first time I’ve experienced 10m wide open during an SSB
contest, having only been licensed since 2016.  And, at my new QTH I have better
antennas and I’m not transmitting into/through surrounding objects.  This
ended up being all S&P.  For perspective, I beat my best score in 4 previous
attempts at this contest by a mere factor of 20.  My score would have been the
best SOAB LP in Arizona the last few years, but all bets are off this year.

Obviously, 10m was the star but 15m was great, too.  Friday evening I felt like
it was a Worked All Japan contest with about 40 in the first 2 hours on 10, then
another 20 on 15.  Plus, I picked up my first ever SSB QSOs with BY, DU, and
VR2.  Averaged 25/hour on 10/15, and after working my way down the bands I was
at 142 in the books after 6 hours of operation when I went to bed.

Saturday morning and early afternoon it was EU that was wide open on 10 and 15,
then SA later in the afternoon averaging more than 25/hour for about 4 hours.
20m was never very good, but I don’t have gain there at the moment.  I spent
less than 4 hours on 40/80 but got some decent mults.  I tried 160, but barely
heard anything.

With 276 QSOs in the first half of the contest, I was already way past my SSB
record, but I had used up most of the calls that I could work and Saturday night
and Sunday were a bit anti-climactic.  I stuck with it so I could have 100 QSOs
each on two bands.  I’m pretty sure I’ve never worked anyone on 5 bands in a
contest, but got KL7RA, PJ2T, and PJ4G this time.  I’m not going to work DXCC
in a contest, but I did pick up 68 different entities which I’m sure is a new
personal record.  Didn’t work anything particularly exotic, but did briefly
hear Kenya on 10m.  Continent breakdown: NA 70, SA 59, EU 109, AS 88, AF 6, OC
27.

Other than the point and click hordes and the occasional big gun station
stomping all over another station when the DX was trying to confirm that call,
there were a lot of great operators out there making this a fun contest.
Thanks!