[AMPS] Class C design

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Class C design
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 10:20:34 EST
On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 22:38:28 -0500 Steve Bookout <sbookout@mnsinc.com>
writes:
>Hi all.
>
>Thought it was time I 'tweeked' the gray matter of the minds on this
>reflector.
>
>I've built homebrew amps over the last 15 or so years, but they have
>all
>been GG amps.  Some have worked better than others.  My first attempt
>was more of an attenuator; KW in; 100 watts drive and 50 watts out!
>But, I have learned from past errors and look back and laugh.
>
>For years I have wanted to build a grid driven amp and now I have a
>bit
>of an excuse to do it.
>
>The situation is as follows:
>
>I have decided to build a class C amp for 15 meters using a pair of
>4-400's.  I ONLY work CW and I have lots of tubes, sockets, chimneys,
>fil xfmrs, etc.
>I would like to end up with close to 1500 watts when I'm done.

Why on earth Class C if you are not planning on AM?  The power output
difference between  "C"  and GG  "B"  is tenths of a dB;  1500W out in GG
service is readily obtainable for CW (it would have relatively poor IMD
for SSB).

Class C also brings up the neutralizing requirement, plus a likelihood of
key clicks on CW.

Just a few comments from an old Class C builder.

73...Carl  KM1H

 I have