[AMPS] Re: 3-500Z/ G

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 3-500Z/ G
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 97 08:18:20 -0800

How are the tubes being blown, Carl?
What is the breakdown v of the AL-82 bandswitch?  Is the AL-82 bandswitch
similar to the AL-80 bandswitch?  Have you measured the resistance of the
VHF suppressor resistors (Rs) in an AL-82 whose bandswitch arced?  In the
AL-80?
  In the AL-80, Rs, damage is often not visable--even though an ohm meter
test indicates a large change in resistance.  IMO, when HF (10m/12m
mainly) damages Rs, external signs of overheating are apparent.  However,
intermittent VHF parasitic oscillations are so brief that external damage
is seldom visable.  I have seen suppressor resistors that appeared to be
shiny-brandnew , whose resistance suddenly quadrupled some time around
the occurrence of a 'big-bang'.  ..

 It seems me to that a HV-RFC  fire or arc on 160m, 80m, or 40m is quite
unlikly to be caused by 160m, 80m, or 40m RF.

Rich

R. L. Measures,ag6k,805-386-3734