[AMPS] Alpha 77 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 77 problem
From: dbr@alumni.caltech.edu (David B. Ritchie)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:30:22 -0800 (PST)

I'm not totally familiar with the 77, but I think it has a step-start
sequence like the smaller 7x amps -- if so, a resistor in each leg of the
220 input appears for a while and then gets shorted after a certain
amount of time -- this limits inrush current while the caps are charging,
then goes away once they are charged.

Increasing the capacitor as you did will likely increase the inrush
current, all else being equal.  You could do the math, or simply double
the resistance of th resistor on each leg.  Don't forget P=I*I*R to set
the wattage of the resistor (give it at least 50% margin).

Whatever you do -- DO NOT INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE FUSES!!!  It wil solve
your immediate problem and lead to big time failures down the road (e.g.,
fried transformer, etc.)

Good luck with it
Dave N7UE

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Sean McCarthy wrote:

> Hello amp guru's
>
> A friend of mine replaced his HV cap in his Alpha 77 with the Dahl
> "drop in" (Ouch$$$)
>
> Anyhow, went from stock 24 to 35MFD, and now the amp blows 20A line
> fuses whenever placed on high tap. Runs fine on low tap.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean
>

> --

David B. Ritchie, Esq.
D'Alessandro & Ritchie, P.C. -- Intellectual Property Lawyers
3521 E. Yorkshire Road, Pasadena, CA  91107-5432
818-683-8800 (TEL)   818-683-8900 (FAX)   dbr@alumni.caltech.edu