[AMPS] to choke or not to choke...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] to choke or not to choke...
From: jhenders@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov (Jim Henderson)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 08:25:27 +0000
Esteemed Reflectees:

        A couple weeks ago there was a thread about power supplies, and the
desirability or not of choke input supplies. I have been considering a
couple of used Henry amps using that design.

        I recall comments to the effect that choke-input PS systems were the
long engineering solution to a simple requirement, that Henry-style choke
input supplies were troublesome and out of date.

        I wonder if this is true, as Henry amps do retain the image of
battleship ruggedness and reliability, or did I miss something salient. I
cant quite determine if the cons outweigh the pros, or what.

        If you wish to spare the readership of the repetition, you may
answer direct, but I'd like to understand this point before I make a
decision on my new amp. I think Henry is the only current producer of this
type of amp PS, and they still sell.

        Many thanks.

73 de Jim, KF7E

Jim Henderson