[AMPS] Hawaiin Humidity

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hawaiin Humidity
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 18:10:44 -1000
At 06:39 PM 4/1/97 -0800, David B. Ritchie wrote:

>The ones that I've used were in Hawaii and its very humid there --
>perhaps that contributed to the mortality rate.

Yes,  that is why I leave my computers and both transceivers on
24 hours per day.  However,  not the Alpha 87A.  I believe the
tubes will last much longer without the filaments heating the
cathodes for 24 hours per day,  but who knows?  Should the
87A be on all the time,  on standby?  Would clearly keep the
moisture out,  but the little radio shack room stays at about
80F from the heat of the computers,  etc.  That ought to keep
the innards of the 87A dry,  I hope.  Any other high humidity
survival ideas?

73,  Jim, KH7M