[AMPS] Type-accept ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Type-accept ?
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 22:03:10 +0100
Hakan Ericsson wrote:

>I have all of that equipement in my house, but,,,,
>In Europe we don't have 110VAC singel phase, In most EU countrys a
>private home has 3 phase 380VAC (I belive England does'nt).
>230VAC is singel phase.

That's correct. In Britain 380V three-phase comes down the road, and
private houses are fed from one 230V phase each. Industrial locations
and larger buildings get all three phases.

In a house, the main breaker is usually 60A. Most power is taken from a
ring circuit fused at 30A total, maximum 13A per socket, but there is a
separate 30A feed for the cooker and up to 40A for an electric shower.
So, it's possible to run up to 40A single-phase with a direct feed from
the switchbox.

The other point is that even if you have the supply capability, single-
phase HV transformers of that size may be hard to find; the only ones
available may be three-phase. The electricity company will of course
install three-phase in your home - at a price - and some hams do have
it.