[AMPS] Amp Supply History

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Supply History
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:01:16 EDT
On Sat, 26 Apr 97 09:35:57 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

>I think Denny ought to get the Bandini Award for using disc ceramic
>caps as tank circuit padders.  "Roundfiling"  Eimac's recommendations
ought
>to worth another sack.

Poor Denny....always someone bitching. All he did was try and bring out
an affordable product. After Heathkit I would wager that there are more
Dentron/Amp Supply amps around than all the surviving companies combined.

If that is true then Denny accomplished some good...along with his
shortcomings.

In the MLA -2500 he used all HEC RF doorknobs. In the LK series he went
to Teflon dielectric discs...nothing wrong with them at  <1500W or so. In
the LK-800A he used a few more in parallel. They drift the same or less
than the usual RF doorknob. Maybe someone can suggest another source of
affordable RF rated HV caps. Anybody check the prices on 857 style caps
lately? Since that money grubbing Richardson outfit became HEC's
distributor the prices have gone out of sight. I can no longer buy 25 at
a time from HEC.
Heck, Heath used a single silver mica in the SB-220, etc.  to pad for
80M. Heath also took many  other shortucts in design and quality but I
hear no one hear complaining. Despite their deficiencies they are great
amps with a bit of TLC.

In a certain X brand amp, drift on 160M is no worse OR better than any
others IMO; and they use all doorknobs.

Has anyone comments or experience on the Alpha 91b ?  How are they on
80/160M ? I have yet to fondle one.

>>I have a pretty decent stereo system, and I have
>>ocassionally subscribed to Stereophile magazine, but those people are
>
>>too far out there for me. They think you can tell the difference in
>>the sound by running a tape de-magnetizer over a CD.
>Does it matter that a CD is non-magnetic?  I get a laugh out of the
>audiophile idea that (high-Z) tubes and a stepdown transformer are
>more
>linear than (low-Z) FETs for the purpose of driving speakers.

I recently had an opportunity to listen to an A/B comparison between a
kilobucks 811A  amp and a kilobucks FET amp of equal power and the same
speakers. I could actually hear a difference, the glow bottles sounded
more pleasing. Words such as prescience, transfer characteristics of SS
vs Tubes, etc get thrown about . I always thought it was a bunch of
BS....but now I'm not so sure. After all, even Svetlana has a whole new
line of audio tubes, so something is working....not all audiophiles are
morons ready to be parted from their cash. I dont even come close to
considering myself an audiophile....I like 50's rock and all country but
if even I can tell a difference there has to be something going on.
BTW the comparison was at a neighbors home  who is into serious classical
stuff, not the Coasters or George Strait, etc.
Gee...maybe I should start building audio amps!

73....Carl   KM1H