[AMPS] Amp Supply History

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Supply History
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 97 13:25:28 -0800

>On Sat, 26 Apr 97 09:35:57 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:
>
>>I think Denny ought to get the Bandini Award for using disc ceramic
>>caps as tank circuit padders.  "Roundfiling"  Eimac's recommendations
>ought
>>to worth another sack.
>

>Poor Denny....always someone bitching. All he did was try and bring out
>an affordable product. After Heathkit I would wager that there are more
>Dentron/Amp Supply amps around than all the surviving companies combined.
AGREED
>If that is true then Denny accomplished some good...along with his
>shortcomings.
According to Mr. Foote, he reportedly stiffed Eimac for major kilobucks.
Why did Denny send Eimac a prototype for evaluation if he placed more
value on Denny's evaluation than he placed on Eimac's?
>In the MLA -2500 he used all HEC RF doorknobs. In the LK series he went
>to Teflon dielectric discs......snip...
The LK-500 I repaired had  garden-variety disc-ceramic capacitors with
titanium dioxide dielectric.
  I initially tried using a bank of 9, paralleled  56pF 6000v disc
ceramic capacitors for the 80m load-padder in my first Class AB1
amplifier.  The disc ceramic capacitors caught fire.   I conducted some
bench tests.  I discovered that with 1 ampere of RF, 6000v disc ceramic
capacitors typically exhibit substantial heating.   The tank circulating
current in the amplifier was around 33 amperes.  Oops.  OTOH, it would
have made a nifty Rube Goldberg charcoal lighter for the barbeque, Carl.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K