[AMPS] Filament breakage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Filament breakage
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:22:19 EDT
On Tue, 13 May 97 11:56:36 -0700 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

>>Rich, your test seems to infer that VHF oscillation is the only thing
>>that could cause a substantial increase in Rs. Is that the case? If
>>so , is there a discussion somewhere that could be read?
>>
>>cheers, Paul
>>ve7cqk

>external heating and a large change in resistance.  This happens fast.
>'big-bang' is often heard.  I have seen 100 ohm 5% carbon-comp. Rs
>resistors that measured over 400 ohms--yet appeared to be in good
>condition.  OTOH, Rs can be burned out completely by VHF energy.
>  Since Rs can be completely burned out by either VHF or HF energy, it
>is
>technoblatherous to state that only VHF damage can cause a substantial
>
>increase in R.  .  However, a substantial increase in R with no
>external
>signs of damage is probably VHF-related.
>Rich---

You and Tom are still failing to follow this thru Rich. The same
resistance increase, but due to skin effect and chemical changes, is a
primary cause of blown filaments in 811A/572B's .
The VHF parasitic is a primary player in this instance...I will have to
agree with your premise with the above tubes.

As I have said to Tom, I will say to you and others. The voltage in a VHF
parasitic is very much dependent upon the unloaded Q of the tank circuit
since the load IS NOT absorbing the energy. Even in a basic 811A circuit
this can exceed the tubes breakdown voltage by many times....20+ KV is
common. Just run the math.

Any BS to the contrary and the refusal to admit to the destructive energy
in a parasitic is irresponsible IMO.  Granted, parasitics can take many
forms and many are not destructive; it IS ALL dependendent upon how much
of a real load it sees. We see them as anywhere from an occassional
spitting to a catastrophic BANG.

73....Carl   KM1H