[AMPS] K2AW's High Voltage Rectifier Modules

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] K2AW's High Voltage Rectifier Modules
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:54:47 -0500
Before shooting of our mouths about a very nice person and his very nice
products, why not take a moment or two to get the facts? Deja-vous, eh Rich?

1. K2AW Modules are made by hand by K2AW, with TLC!

2. Each module has a string of General Instrument 1N5408 diodes, personally
   matched by Frank before potting in "environmentally correct" epoxy. The
   6kv module has 6 1N5408's, the 14kv module has 14 1N5408's etc.

3. Although the diodes are rated at 3 amps, Frank derates the module to 1 amp
   to make them "idiot proof" as they are used all over the world by many
   services.

4. There are over 20,000 modules in use in over 50 countries.

5. As I stated earlier, I have abused his products for 15 years with ZERO
   FAILURES.

IMO, the use of strings of diodes and strings of electrolytic caps with
strings of equalizing resistors feeding strings of vacuum tubes is something
only for the amateur, C.B., and "freebander" markets where cost is the number
one factor.
This all works fine and saves a few bucks initially, but long-term reliability
suffers, especially in power supplies delivering 5000 volts plus at several
amps. One only has to look at RF equipment designed for industrial/military
use vs the equipment for the amateur market to confirm this point. When one
is pontificating about the use of components in a power supply, why paint
with such a broad brush? Is this power supply going to be used for a tube
with handles, or one of the popular "table-top toy" circuits popular today?

There are thousands reading this reflector. I call them the "silent majority."
They never post an article. Before one begins an assassination of a product
or an individual, one should get the facts to avoid ramification. Those
who do not bother to do this leave me with the impression that they may have
a personal axe to grind, for whatever reason. There was absolutely no
excuse for spreading the rumor on a technical forum that K2AW sells microwave
oven diodes.
Some day it might be your turn "in the barrel"...have fun!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC