[AMPS] K2AW's High Voltage Rectifier Modules

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] K2AW's High Voltage Rectifier Modules
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 29 May 97 13:48:41 -0700
>Before shooting of our mouths about a very nice person and his very nice
>products, why not take a moment or two to get the facts? Deja-vous, eh Rich?
>
>1. K2AW Modules are made by hand by K2AW, with TLC!
>
>2. Each module has a string of General Instrument 1N5408 diodes, personally
>   matched by Frank before potting in "environmentally correct" epoxy. The
>   6kv module has 6 1N5408's, the 14kv module has 14 1N5408's etc.

Interesting info, Phil.  Apparently,  the person who made the
microwave-oven parts claim should have opened one with a hammer Before
making the claim.  Have you opened a K2AW potted rectifier unit?
 Nevertheless, increasing the thermal-resistance between the rectifier
die and the cooling medium is hardly good engineering practice--which is
undoubtedly the case whenever a string of IN5408s are potted in epoxy.
...snip...
>Phil, K5PC

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K