[AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 29 May 97 13:48:43 -0700
>Hi Carl,
>
>I always chuckle at some of your responses.....

Yes, Carl comes up with some chucklers, Tom.  However, my all time ROFL
favorite was your promoting the Engineer-B to "R+D Engineering
Manager"---after he quit and got a job with another company, no less.

>> Which is 180 degrees away from any other source Tom. You certainly enjoy
>> providing your own view of reality.

>The reasons I use caps is simple.....
>
>1.) The diode is a non-linear component with different recovery
>times. Let's picture one diode in the string having much faster
>recovery time.

'Much faster' is not a very likely picture when one uses same-type
rectifiers.

...snip...
>3.) Bypassing is almost always often less than perfect in high power
>PA's. Capacitors prevent RF from being rectified in the diodes, and
>generating harmonics.

 The harmonics that common rectifiers generate are harmonics of 60Hz.
These harmonics are generated at the instant when the p/n junction stops
conducting.  In days of yore, before modern epitaxy, p/n junctions were
much less parallel, stopped conducting less-evenly, and harmonics of the
AC input frequency were not much of problem.

>Any technical comments or personal flames?
>
>73, Tom W8JI

Tranlation:
Valid technical comments that question questionable pronouncements ARE
virtually certain to be taken as personal flames.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K