[AMPS] Which Amp?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Which Amp?
From: KE7GH@primenet.com (Brian K. Short)
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 03:29:54 +0100
Gentlemen:

I just read through the WWW archives for the year, but come away
with more questions than I started with?

I own a humble Ameritron AL-1200 3cx1200a7 amplifier, but it has
occurred to me that I may want a different amplifier this year.

I do not want to build anything or want to have to do any internal
maintenance. I don't want to get intimate with the shipping companies
returning an amp back to a service depot either!

Anyway, my exciter is an FT-1000mp. I do some "casual" DXing and
contesting (including RTTY) from my home station which is a bit
antenna challenged.

I want an amp with the following characteristics:
1) reliable
2) reliable
3) conservative rating
4) capable of RTTY operation
5) QSK
6) 160-10m preferably or 80-10
7) easily band changed (automatic/semi-automatic, band pass, etc)
8) fairly quiet

I don't need an amp capable of travel and size is not a concern.

Some that pop to mind and meet some of the criteria:
1) Alpha 374a       3x8874
2) Alpha 76pa       "" ""
3) Command HF-2500  2x3CX800
4) Henry 3k         1x3CX1200D7
5) Alpha 91b        2x3CX800
6) Alpha 77         8877/2x8877 SX or DX ? where to find it?

Or am I just better off with my AL-1200? Are there any
reputable resellers of "used" amps?

-Brian ke7gh@primenet.com