[AMPS] SB-220 C4 failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 C4 failure
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 17:03:28 EDT
On Mon, 7 Jul 97 11:06:57 -0700 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:

>>IMO, adding Step-Start to the SB-220 is a complete waste of time and
>>money. The filament  xfmr was designed to limit inrush current. The
>plate
>>xfmr is also current limited.

>...snip...
>- The HV transformer is required to produce repetitive, high peak
>currents to satisfy the considerable demand of the C-filter.  If the
>HV
>transformer were designed to limit current--like the 220's filament
>transformer--the HV regulation would be unacceptable.

I did not say that the xfmr was designed to limit current, I said it was
current limited....there is a big difference between the two.

>- When a stock SB-220 is consistently started up on the SSB HV tap,
>the
>inrush current is such that the life expectancy of the on/off switch
>is
>reduced.

Possibly, but I suspect the majority of On-OFF switch failures are purely
worn out. Starting any amp in the low power position (if available) is a
good idea anyway.  Replacing an old switch is certainly preferred over
adding more failure prone parts to the circuit.
BTW, I have a large stock of old National NCL-2000 ON-OFF switches, they
fit the SB-220 exactly and are a grade above the cost conscious Heathkit.

73...Carl   KM1H

BTW, whoever was looking for Harbach, they advertise in the Ham-Ads of
QST every month. Also at www.harbach.com

 Two solutions are:  Use the switch manufacturer's 40a