[AMPS] SB-220 C4 failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 C4 failure
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 97 22:30:17 -0700
>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>>
>> For adding a step-start relay and high speed switching, a FWB is
>> indicated.  Half-wave rectification causes DC to unhappily flow in the
>> transformer.  Adding 3 more diodes  and ungrounding the 80v winding is
>> easy/inexpensive.
>
>The very small  power demand of the bias supply (about 12 watts)
>would not greatly affect the core losses of a transformer already
>delivering 160 watts to a resistive load.
>The half wave rectifier is perfectly fine.

-  20uF in half-wave service is perfectly fine for filtering the original
20mA load, however, it is a bit lacking for filtering the 100mA that the
high speed switching and step-start circuits consume.  Increasing C is
one fix.  Doubling the ripple frequency, by converting to FWB
rectification is another fix.  3 rectifiers cost less than another filter
C.

>If I was going to do a mod, I'd get rid of the whole 130 volt supply,
>and let the tube self-bias off. Than a more conventional 12 volt
>relay could be used.

Self cut-off biasing is good.  However, conventional relays are too slow
to keep pace with modern radios.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K