[AMPS] Re: Bent filaments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Bent filaments
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 00:16:57 -0500
At 09:26 PM 7/13/97 +0000, you wrote:

snip.......
>Where does the dc current you think bends the filaments come from, if
>the specific peak emission is 8 amperes and the absolute peak
>emission capability is 10 or twelve amperes?
>
>Once we find the source, we can calculate the force.

snip......

Hi Tom et al.....

IMO the source of the current that bends the filaments is the same source
that has sent Ip meters sailing out of their holes and across the room.
It is the filter capacitor in the PS. When we all threw away the filter
chokes and 4 mfd filter caps in the early days of linear amplifier
proliferation, replacing the above with 30-80mfd capacitor input filters,
and plugging it all into 240 volt mains, we created a monster just waiting
to strike. Many posts have covered the fact that the old ways of protecting
circuits from "big bang" events are far too slow for use in modern amplifiers.

As amp manufacturers and home brewers began to push the envelope (no pun
intended) with tubes running at maximum Ep and Ip there became less and less
room (and time) for error. There now exists very cheap technology for removing
the source of 99% of the "big bang" events by simply removing the PS filter
cap. from the circuit in less than 3-5ms after a fault or arc occurs.

No sources = no forces.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC