[AMPS] Re: Bent filaments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Bent filaments
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:29:48 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>

I wrote:
> >When the tube faults the grid flys right up to full anode voltage. ...snip...

Rich replied:
> There is typically no abnormal gas in grid/filament shorted 3-500Zs.
> Without gas, how could there have been such an arc?

Sorry Rich, I only know English and it doesn't seem to work. I;'ll
try one last time.

1.) In "Getters And Their Function in Vacuum Tubes", an arc is
listed as a means of gettering the tube.

The arc is through the gas, and it destroys the gas molecules.

2.) Arcs sometimes occur due to "barnacles".

When the arc occurs, the barnacle is removed.

Your after the fact test is meaningless, it's like picking up a nail
in a tire and going back to look at the road a week later. Don't you
ever get tired of arguing with the rest of the world?

The magnetically induced force, ignoring the wire's thickness, on a
5 cm long wire carrying 30 amperes spaced 1 cm from another wire
carrying 30 amperes is 7.65 grams. If the current in one wire
increases to 60 amperes, the force becomes 15.3 grams.

Just how large are these parasitic currents Rich?

73, Tom W8JI