[AMPS] CENTURION HELP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CENTURION HELP
From: dbr@alumni.caltech.edu (David B. Ritchie)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 21:24:10 -0700 (PDT)
I've never seen a Centurion, but if they are anything like ALPHAs, they
may have a resistor in a step start configuration -- if this resistor is
popped (usually a big 10W+ ceramic job) it can and has caused Alpha 78s
to exhibit precisely this symptom.  Just a thought.
Good luck
Dave N7UE

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Rich Measures wrote:

> >     My 422 TenTec Centurion has worked fine for several years.  I haven't
> >     used it all summer, but decided to turn it on last night.  As soon
> >     as I turned the power switch on, both primary line fuses blew along
> >     with the circuit breaker.  No smoke, and no visible damage after
> >     inspecting it inside and out.  I took a reading across the 220V line
> >     cord (unpluged of course) with the fuses replace and read 6.6 ohms. Is
> >     this normal?  Any ideas?  The only thing I did before applying power
> >     was switching the standby switch from operate to standby.
> >                                                TNX, Denis, W4DC
>
> You are not the only Centurion owner who has experienced this problem,
> Denis.
>
>  I would troubleshoot this amplifier thusly:
> Replace fuses;  turn on.  If the HV is normal, turn off and check Q1 and
> D1 on the FILAMENT AC BOARD for a short.  (Q1 and D1 function like a
> zener bias diode).  Also check D21 on the HV RECTIFIER BOARD for a short.
>  Replace if necessary.  These component shorts can either be caused by a
> HV arc to the chassis, or it can be caused by an intermittent VHF
> parasite, which typically causes a brief HV arc from the anode circuit to
> the chassis.
> -  Check the resistance of R1 and R2 [100 ohms, 2w]--the parasitic
> suppressor resistors-- on the PLATE CONNECTOR BOARD.  (note - This
> operation requires unsoldering one end of each resistor to make the
> test.)  If the values of resistance are above the tolerance limit, IMO,
> an intermittent VHF parasitic oscillation was probably the reason for the
> problem.  If the measured resistance is below the lower tolerance, such a
> change is typical during 10m operation, and, IMO, no VHF parasitic is
> indicated.
>
> Shortly after the first article on parasitic suppression was published in
> the October 1988 issue of  *QST*, Ten Tec reportedly tried using low
> VHF-Q/low VHF-Rp parasitic suppressors.  However, during 28MHz operation,
> the Ten Tec engineers observed signs of heating in the VHF suppressors,
> so they went back to using their conventional suppressor design, which
> ran cooler at 28MHz.  IMO, it is not possible to build a low Rp VHF
> parasitic suppressor that does not dissipate 1 - 2 % of the available
> power at 28MHz.
>
> Rich---
>
> R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K
>

> --

David B. Ritchie, Esq.
D'Alessandro & Ritchie, P.C., Intellectual Property Lawyers
1731 Technology Drive, Suite 710, San Jose, CA  95110-1312
408-441-1100 (TEL); 408-441-8400 (FAX); DBR@ALUMNI.CALTECH.EDU