[AMPS] Kenwood TL922 help please

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood TL922 help please
From: DCOLLINS@FAB9.intel.com (EI6IF)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 97 23:56:24 PDT
Hi guys,

My knoweledge of amps and tubes is almost nothing so I have come
looking to this reflector for some advice.
 Recently I decided to give in to that persistent background urge
to own an amp. It would be very useful on topband, the more difficult
pileups on the higher bands and maybe the odd contest. The funds existed
for something modest and better to spend before my money pit of a house
posed serious competition. A few enquires revealed a TL922 that had a
sheltered past (ie not used much!) and a reasonable price.

 Taking to the owner, his wife had just presented him with an Alpha as
an anniversary gift and the TL922 needed a new home. One problem, one of
the tubes had developed an intermittent grid short (apparently there was
a buzzing noise just before the amp died) Two new Amperex 3-500z heavy
duty graphite type were purchased in the States but not fitted yet.

 A date was arranged to view the amp. When I arrived at his qth the tubes
were fitted and the amp fired up for the first time. The HV was ok but
there was a plate current flowing that apparently should not be. By now
there was sizzling sound and a burning smell. The amp was powered down
and opened. With my hands in my pockets so as not to zap mysely, looked
around for physical damage. Didn't notice anything unusual but felt the
burning smell was strongest in the region of  the HV multiplier area.

 The owner, embarrased at this stage, said that if I was still intrested
he would get it repaired and would sell it at a small price reduction for
my troubles. Anyway I enjoyed playing wih his FT1000 and TH11 up 80 feet
for the afternoon and treated to a delicious meal by his wife so didn't
feel too "troubled"!

 Phoned him back a few weeks later but the amp is still untouched and
likely to remain that way until later in the year. He did offer it to me
as is for a reduced sum. Right now price is more important for me that
how quickly an amp can be got on the air.

 Not much technical info in the above but the TL922 should be well known
enough that someone out there can put their finger on the problem. Also
any guidance on what percentage of the orginal price the amp is worth in
its present state would be welcome.

As a parting note I believe this gentleman to be just that and not trying
to pull a fast one.

Cheers,

Denis EI6IF