[AMPS] GLA-1000 tube size

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] GLA-1000 tube size
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 01:10:53 EDT
Re:  Dentron GLA-1000x retrofit to the Svetlana EL-509

Hi Gary, thanks for the note...

>Gary wrote:
>I just got one of these things that is partially toasted but quite
serviceable.   I'm >interested in hot-rodding it, as you describe, for a
weekend project.  But my >measurements of the available internal height
inside the cabinet show only 4.4 >inches of clearance from the tube
sockets to the inside of the cover.  The 6LQ6's are >only 3.6 inches
tall, but the EL509's are 4.3 inches tall.  Do you intend to modify the
>cover??

Boy, everything was going along fine until you asked that one minor
question. So now  I'm looking at the space below the amp also for
clearance as the original tube sockets were mounted on top of a PC board
at the chassis level. I received the new sockets with the tubes so I have
to work out the practical side of all this first, then make a choice.

 Obviously, the pin outs would have to be changed, too.  My thought,
until I >saw your suggestion of the EL509's, was to just blow off the
sweep tubes altogether >and go with 811's, since you have to modify the
cabinet anyway.

As I mentioned in my original post, at least the amp is a cheap building
block for other projects. The cabinet is probably one of the cheapest
things to come up with. With a voltage doubler you might even pop in a
3-500z? Way off the beaten track now...

The Plate V might >be a little low for that, I guess.
Not really, 1200 volts on an 811A isn't to bad...

>I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
So now I'm out with a ruler and note pad to see what I can do... ,thanks
Gary...

>Gary
>W3AM

cheers