[AMPS] 2X4-1000A G-G AMP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2X4-1000A G-G AMP
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 08:09:40 -0800
>Mike Schelly wrote:
>>
>> Greetings to all...I'm trying to get this amp to behave but it seems to
>> be a T.G.T.P oscillator. Without drive at about 4KV grid and plate
>> current start to flow. The amp is a 20m monoband with vacuum  tune and
>> load caps. Makes no difference what type or variation of parasitic
>> suppressor is used...copper/silver or nichrome. I get a dip at 62Mhz at
>> the plate blocking cap.

The type of suppressor used makes virtually no difference in the
anode-resonance frequency.

>>The grids and screens are grounded with .25"
>> copper strap  thru the sockets directly to the chassis. The filaments
>> are in series with a 15VCT      transformer, bypassed with .01 micas. Bias
is
>> provided by 4 series 1N5402 diodes. With any type of tuned input,
>> parallel C/L, pi, or T-input I have an oscillation. Feeding the filament
>> direct thru a .01 mica....no oscillation, no Ip/Ig without drive. Does
>> any tuned input have to be in a shielded enclosure under the chassis? Do
>> I necessary have an input/output feedback problem? Any help appreciated
>> guys...
>
>Hi Mike,
>  Sounds like you have a real problem.

... amen to that.

>From your message I conclude your
>using GG which should make the amp insensitive, normally. Without
>looking at the construction I guess that your getting a LOT of output
>back into the input in phase.

Since the grid and screen are reasonably well grounded, it sounds to me
like the feedback path is the normal anode to grid feedback C within the
4-1000A(s).

> Some general rules for neutralizing a GG
>amp is to keep all leads short as possible in both in and output
>circuits.

However, the amplifier is apparently oscillating at the anode resonance
of 62MHz --  not at the operating frequency.  Neutralization works at the
operating frequency - not at the anode-resonance.. .. .  Has anyone ever
seen an article in an ARRL publication, or in an Eimac publication, about
neutralizing a GG amplifier?

My guess is that the next logical step is to use a dipmeter - set to the
wave-meter position -  and try to determine the actual frequency of
oscillation.  However, it's best to start well clear of the anode circuit
to avoid damaging the dipmeter.
>....snip...
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K