[AMPS] Re: [CQ-Contest] Ameritron AL1500x efficiency ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: [CQ-Contest] Ameritron AL1500x efficiency ?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 08:09:47 -0800
>Chris W Tran wrote:
>>
>> Tuesday 30th September 1997
>> Hello all
>> One of our contest group - Keith Kerr GM4YXI - has just purchased
>> an Ameritron AL1500x and there appears to be a problem with
>> efficiency - specifically on 20m.
>>
>> On 80m, 40m and 15m, efficiency = 54 % approx.
>> On 20m, efficiency = 42 % approx.
>>
>> We've followed the manufacturer's tune-up method carefully,
>> and also tried numerous combinations of loading, drive level etc.,
>> but cannot improve significantly on this figure of 42 %
>> I think the inefficiency could be caused by :-
>> Design fault - e.g. poor tank cct. design or poor plate choke
>> design, etc.
>> Manufacturing fault - tapping point in wrong place, etc.
>> We've looked at the plate circuitry carefully and none of
>> these reasons seem possible.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Keith is contacting Ameritron for their suggestions of course.
>> Please reply to :-
>> <chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk>    or    <k.kerr@abdn.ac.uk>
>>
>> Thanks - 73      Chris Tran GM3WOJ
>
>Hi Chris,
>  Have you tried tuning the amp into a dummy load on 20 meters? ...snip...

I did not receive the original post, Chris.
-   Wattmeters are calibrated for a matched condition.  Add SWR and the
accuracy is compromised.  What was the SWR looking into the load when you
took the P measurement on 20m?

Also, how is an AL-1500x different from an AL-1500?  Is the AL-1500x
"neutralized"?  Does it use a VHF parasitic-oscillation suppressor?
thanks
cheers
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K