[AMPS] An open response to Tom, W8JI

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] An open response to Tom, W8JI
From: sandy@sandy.com (Sandy Meltzer)
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:13:50 -0800
Hello all,

First, I like to apologize to everyone on this mailing list if the two
Alpha ads I posted yesterday were inappropriate.  As a new recipient of
this list, I didn't see any policy information from the "owner" of this
list, Bill Fisher - W4AN except the following information from the "Welcome
to amps" message I initially received:

     Welcome to the RF Amplifier Mail Reflector
     This reflector is devoted to the discussion of RF amplifiers.

     Bill Fisher, W4AN
     w4an@contesting.com

As a long time ham and Alpha user, I joined this list to gather and share
any information which might help me and others enjoy and more efficiently
use our RF amps.  I love my Alpha 87A amp and don't feel it is
inappropriate to share some timely information with other hams and Alpha
users.

What I find most interesting is the immediate negative response I (we)
received from Tom (W8JI) within seconds of posting the Alpha ads yesterday.
 I received the following message via email:

>You must be new at internet Sandy.
>A posting like yours is considered trash and poor manners by most people.
>
>73, Tom W8JI

No, Tom, I'm not new to the Internet.  This is my 23rd year on the
Internet...started when it was ARPAnet.  I am presently an ISP (Internet
Service Provider) and have been posting to many newsgroups/reflectors for
over 20 years.  I sure don't need any self-appointed do-gooder telling me
what the correct netiquette is for posting.

If commercial listings are not desired by any given newsgroup or reflector,
the "owner" should clearly state that policy for all to see.  Frankly, I
thought many on this list would appreciate Alpha's special
offer...especially their extended warranty program.

Posting two timely messages is not spamming....spamming is the "repeated"
posting or mailing of "useless" information ("trash", as you call
it)...like your 7+ posts to this reflector yesterday, your email sent
directly to Alpha/Power, and the multiple email garbage you sent to me
directly.  It's appropriate for you to voice your opinion Tom, but a single
email to this mailing list would have suffice.  Instead, you decided to
waste our precious bandwidth and became a spammer at the same time.

I didn't see your name on the "Welcome to amps" message.  Who appointed you
to the Internet police?   If you don't like Alpha and didn't want to read
the timely information posted, you should have just pressed the "delete"
button on your mail program instead of spending hours "spamming" this list,
Alpha, and me.

Bill's comments clearly show that other Alpha users are interested in this
material:

> Speak for yourself, Dan.  It's list-related, timely and useful.  I
> don't mind it a bit.  I only wish it had been a couple of months
> earlier -- I could have saved $200 on my 91B!
> 73, Bill W7TI

So Tom, the bottom line is, you're welcome to your opinion on what is or
isn't appropriate for this and other newsgroups or reflectors, but it isn't
necessary for you to spam the world to voice that opinion.

>I had no idea it was OK to advertise or do commercial marketing  on this
list.
>73, Tom W8JI

We accept your apology Tom.

73 to All

        --sandy
        KW6KW

P.S. - The opinions stated here are mine alone and don't necessarily
reflect those of          Alpha/Power.