[AMPS] more power more TVI??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] more power more TVI??
From: davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dave Kirkby)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 14:06:20 +0000
Karl-Heinz Merscher wrote:

> Hi to the High POWER community,
>
> one of my radio buddies who has a big amp (> 1 KW) reported if he
> uses his transceiver without the linear he produces lots of TVI
> (wracked all channels ...).
>
> Using the transceiver with the amp at full power no TVI occurs.
> He mentioned that the signal is much clearer with the linear.
> I ever thought that more power means more TVI ...
> How about my friends statement? Is it realy true? What's your
> experience?

Yor friend is lucky, and in my experience unusual. However, its easy to
see why this is possible. Assume:
1) There is no fault on the telly - unusual!!
2) The basic transceiver has a fault - say a high level of harmonics.
3) The amplifier increases the wanted signal, but the internal filtering
removes the harmonics.

The other option, perhaps the more likely, is that when driving the
linear, the power from the driver is reduced - perhaps (for example)
from 130 W to 80 W or so. This stops it producing the nasties it does
when driven to maximum smoke.

--
Dave Kirkby G8WRB
Department of Medical Physics,

Tel: 0171 209 6406 (International +44 171 209 6406)
Fax: 0171 209 6269 (International +44 171 209 6269)