[AMPS] AL-1200 not giving much power on 17M

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1200 not giving much power on 17M
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 02:53:56 GMT
On Sun, 07 Dec 1997 18:45:49 -0500, Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>I have a new AL-1200 (2 weeks old) that is not giving very much power out
>on 17 meters.  I am using a G5RV, both with and without a tuner (my radio
>drives that antenna to full power no problem).  With both the LOAD and
>TUNING controls on the amp turned all the way to the right (3 o'clock), the
>most power I get out of the amp is about 300W.  The radio power meter says
>it's driving 100W into the amp.
>
>I get full power out on 15 meters using the same bandswitch setting.  Other
>bands work fine as well.
>
>Does this sound like a familiar problem to anyone?  Is there something
>wrong with the amp?
>
>Thanks - Jim AD1C

I'd say something's wrong, Jim.  I got about 800 watts out on 17 with
100 watts of drive and the input circuit set to whatever the factory
sets it at.  It was down from 10 and 15, but not as much as yours.
Could be a re-tweak of the input circuit might fix it.

73, Bill W7TI