[AMPS] AL-1200 not giving much power on 17M

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1200 not giving much power on 17M
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:43:07 EST
On Sun, 07 Dec 1997 18:45:49 -0500 Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>I have a new AL-1200 (2 weeks old) that is not giving very much power
>out
>on 17 meters.  I am using a G5RV, both with and without a tuner (my
>radio
>drives that antenna to full power no problem).  With both the LOAD and
>TUNING controls on the amp turned all the way to the right (3
>o'clock), the
>most power I get out of the amp is about 300W.  The radio power meter
>says
>it's driving 100W into the amp.
>
>I get full power out on 15 meters using the same bandswitch setting.
>Other
>bands work fine as well.
>
>Does this sound like a familiar problem to anyone?  Is there something
>wrong with the amp?
>
>Thanks - Jim AD1C
>
>--
>Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
>http://jjr.ne.mediaone.net/

Jim, with about 30-40W try tweaking the 15M input coil. If the power goes
up then maximize with the Tune and Load controls. Keep doing this and
increasing drive until you get the 1500W...but pay close attention to
grid current.
Now go back to 15M and check output. You may find that you will need to
set a compromise coil adjustment between 17/15M .

In the last few 1200's that I set up for people I found the 10 and 15M
inputs were tuned fine for those bands but were way off on 17 and 12M.

GL  Carl  KM1H