[AMPS] HV glitch resistor/fuse?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV glitch resistor/fuse?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 97 07:24:59 -0800
>What is the best type of resistor to use in the HV lead
>to a power amp.

Cesivid [716 286 7610] makes special high pulse energy absorbing
resistors.  They are not inexpensive.

> A good wirewound should be able to
>act as a fuse as well, right?

Not a fuse.  Only a fault current limiter.  If the glitch resistor breaks
down during the glitch, it does not limit current, so it should be
replaced by a resistor that is more capable.

>Any recommendations
>as to where to find a wire wound resistor that'll handle
>kV and have ample dissipation to handle legal output?

A Clarostat 10w 10 ohm glass coated wirewound resistor will discharge
2800v and 25uF without harm.  Above that potential, I would use two of
them in series to reduce the voltage gradient.  With glitch resistors,
mo' longer is mo' betta.
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K