[AMPS] HV filter capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV filter capacitors
From: LOMAX1@prodigy.net (Frank Ayers, W2FCA)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:59:22 -0000
I have a question on HV power supply caps. I'm building a power supply for
about 2500v at an amp or so to power some VHF amplifiers. I have an oil
filled cap that's rated at 35 uf at 4500 V. I was thinking of using this
cap, seeing it's similar to the cap used in the ARRL handbook for the
3CX1200 amp. I have heard two conflicing ideas about this -

1. Great idea, that's what most supplies would use except they're too
expensive. If you have one surplus go for it.

2. These are made for low ripple applications and you're better off going
for a string of electrolytics with a good ripple rating.

Has anybody had experience using a cap like this one. I used something
similar years ago, but then again I used 6CW4's on 432 then also.

Frank
W2FCA