[AMPS] Re: RF choke for SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: RF choke for SB-1000
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:56:07 +1300
Vic Rosenthal K2VCO wrote:
> I obtained an SB-1000 with a damaged plate RF choke.  I've rewound it >
> several times, but I am having difficulty getting it to work properly > on
> all bands 160-10 meters.  Currently the one I made has its first > series
> resonance at about 17 mHz, and I suspect this is the reason for
> poor output on the bands 18 mHz. and higher.

Hello Vic,
I also have a SB1000 which I built from the kit. Soon after I built it
(around 1990) I became aware that Heatkit was offering a replacement
RF choke.  I gave them a copy of my proof of purchase (Portland Radio)
and Heatkit sent me a new RF choke which I fitted to the SB1000.

I believe the new choke was to allow operation on the (new) 17m band.
The original choke is a same diameter continuous winding.
The replacement choke has a smaller diameter on the upper part of the
ceramic former, making two sections.

Hope this is of help.

Martin ZL1ANJ