[AMPS] Benefit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Benefit
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 98 05:44:07 -0800
>Hi Jon...
>
>Generally agree with you, but IMHO if (for instance) you're trying to work
>VK0IR through a 20M pileup the 1.76 dB difference between 1.0 & 1.5 kW may
>considerably shorten your wait.

It assuredly would on moonbounce, however, a 6db change is considerably
more likely to be considerable on HF SSB .

>Also, if you're using a nice beam with, say, a 40' boom - on any band - I
>think it'll take a lot of aluminum and sweat to squeeze another 1.76 dB out
>of it!

Amen, Mr. Ehrhorn.  The bottom line is ERP.  One can only do so much with
the antenna end of the equation.  Above that, the amplifier is where it's
at.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K