[AMPS] Gases liberated in plate

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Gases liberated in plate
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 11 May 98 16:36:03 -0500
>Following is a simple and valid explanation of gas in vacuum power tubes.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you!

>From reading the article it sounds as if a gas arc does occur in a tube
that the damage could be pretty extensive and not just minor.

>This process may quickly become cumulative and lead
>to an arc discharge between anode and cathode. If no overload protective
>device is used, such a discharge generally results in an abrupt termination
>of the life of the tube by melting of the cathode, grid, and anode...."

Sooooo....to bring up an old subject (I am good at that), it would appear
to me at least that an arc would do a LOT more damage than just bend a
filament helix.  You would see melted filaments not bent ones.  This is
in line what I think I would see arcs as usually causing: catostrophic
damage.  Although, keeping an open mind, perhaps the damage would be
limited by the introduction of overload protection as mentioned above
(ie: an arc does happen but because of the overload protection (a big
resistor in the DC feed) the amount of damage the arc does is limited.
So therefore, maybe it would just bend the filaments instead of melting
them.).

73,

Jon
KE9NA