[AMPS] Technical Question #1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Technical Question #1
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 11:42:25 EDT
On Wed, 20 May 1998 08:40:09 +0000 Tom Rauch
<10eesfams2mi@mass1-pop.pmm.mci.net> writes:
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Tue, 19 May 1998 16:05:05 -0800
>> From:          Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
>
>> During a telephone conversation with Mr. Rauch, he told me that he
>had
>> seen lots of parasitic oscillation damage in SB-220s.
>
>Rich,
>
>I'll speak for myself, since I am here.
>
>I never told you I saw damage from *VHF* oscillations in SB-220's. By
>far the largest sources of damage were equipment abuse and poor
>wiring and connections causing oscillations.

One of the oft overlooked problem areas in the SB-220 series is the RG-8
braid clamps from the relay to the SO-239. I have found numerous that
were cold soldered, not soldered, etc. Whenever I find switch or
suppressor failure in a recently purchased amp I immediately check the
wiring first.

It is the switch failures in well built amps, tuned by competent owners
that raise my questions.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73, Tom W8JI
>w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]