[AMPS] Re: your mail

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: your mail
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 02:03:07 EDT
On Thu, 28 May 1998 21:57:45 -0500 (CDT) Gary Schwartz
<garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net> writes:
>On Thu, 28 May 1998, W9JA Paul Hellenberg wrote:
>

>> I have been told by more than one person that 8877s are used in some
>type
>> of hospital equitment (CAT or MRI) and that these are changed out
>from time
>> to time based on number of hours used. Does anyone know anymore
>about this.
>> For example what type of hospital equipment, are the tubes still
>worth
>> using after pulled, etc? Please respond to me directly.
>>
>> Bill, W5VX
>> bparry@esconett.net
>>

>I know that the 8877 was used in GE MRI's in the past.  This was about
>5
>years ago.  In fact, I had heard that GE was using matched tubes from
>Eimac.  Every once in a while, they uncovered a defective tube, bad
>match
>ect.  GE used to simply disp[ose of the other tube, often brand new
>rather
>than try to match the odd ones up.
>
>When I looked into it, the problem was getting on the list to be the
>official scrap vendor for GE.  I never followed it any farther than
>that.
>
>There must be some hams that work at the GE plant in Wisconsin where
>they
>manufacture the MRI's......anyone know one???

I bought several hundred of them....they were NOT mismatched, defective,
etc....get that rumour out of your head pronto.
They were surplused because of date codes....plain and simple. Each tube
came with a full computer print-out. GE overbought and equipment sales
lagged so they could not use older code tubes.

Surplus Bandits of NE bought most of them and was selling for $450-500
each a few years back.  I sold most of mine for $250 each so you can
imagine the profit at "Bandits".

Yes, a few GE defects do reach hams but company policy is to destroy
them.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73,
>Gary K9GS
>   __________________
>  /       K9GS       |______________________________
> /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters
>|____________________
>(                    |   garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net   |
> /
> \   Gary Schwartz   |   K9GS@WA9KEC.WI.USA.NOAM    | Greater
>Milwaukee/
>  \__________________|                              |  DX Association
>(
>\
>                              KNOW CODE !
>

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]