[AMPS] Solid State 1kw amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid State 1kw amp
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 98 12:13:58 -0800
>I'm intrigued by the prospect of not having to fuss with tuning every
>time I change frequencies and especially not having to obnoxiously tune
>up on the air.

Unless you have a 50 plus or minus j zero ohm DC to light antenna, you
are gonna have to fuss with an antenna tuner as you move about, Dave.  .
.  If hams had been using solid state linear amplifiers since 1910, and
some scientist invented a temperature-resistant, rebuildable device that
was 25% more efficient, and did Not require the use of an antenna tuner,
it would widely hailed as a technological breakthrough.

>So, I'm looking into designing and building a 1-1.5kw broadband solid
>state amplifier that needs no tuning, and considering using Motorola
>MRF-150s and combiners.

Why not use two, 50v MRF-430 FETs in Class AB1 push-pull - and you won't
need combiners?   Motorola has info sheets on the MRF-430.

> Has anybody out there done.  this? If so was your
>resulting linearity acceptable, what transistors did you use, and what
>sort of power supply did you come up with? Would you be willing to
>discuss your results with me?
>Also of interest is possibly a broadband tube amp design requiring no
>tuning on the HF ham bands, any input is appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>
>Dave

Rich...