[AMPS] Solid State 1kw amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Solid State 1kw amp
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 20:12:32 -0700
Hi Dave and the group,

Indeed Motorola application notes have been of great benefit to builders of
solid state HF amps (VHF too).
What you need to ask for is the "RF Device Data" (DL110) book. Get the
latest revision. I get mine from Ron Kates of Penstock at 818 593-8456 or
page him at 888 512-9915. He can supply the devices too.

Solid state amps today have possibilities not available before. They can
handle more power into more difficult loads than ever.
For example, the HENRY solid state amps will let you do as you please and
will only do a self protect based on heat. So, if you operate into  a bad
load at full power for contesting use you may get hot enough if the power
and SWR is high enough. But the point is you CAN operate there for a while
before the thermal sensor kicks in. I use a Force12 C4XL antenna and it has
nice SWR on 20-15-10 (and the portion of 40 it's tuned for) but 3:1 SWR on
12 & 17M. The antenna works there but just has high SWR. The HENRY works
just fine into these loads at full power.
Instant on with NO WAIT, and  no tune that's what you'll get!
A popular no tune tube type design will click off if you even temporarily
hit it hard with a voice peak and has even a 1.5:1 or so SWR. I have seen it
at a friends station! Then he waits for warm-up again.

For $6K plus you could build yourself one heck of  solid state amp and still
have money left to buy a few radios, and antennas and feedline

73, Dan Magro
Radiodan W7RF,
High quality Henry Radio RF Power Amplifiers for LESS!
http://www.radiodan.com    RFpower@radiodan.com
A trip to our web site is worth the click!