[AMPS] Re: [CW] calling cq / fone ops

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: [CW] calling cq / fone ops
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 98 02:18:42 -0800

>So long as you are mindful of the duty cycle, there is no reason at all
>not to run an AM signal through your linear amplifier.  I did it for
>years with a pair of 4-400As being driven by a Viking Ranger.  With a
>lot of air cooling them, they made a fairly big noise on the band.  If
>you run RTTY through your amp and it hasn't melted, then AM should be no
>problem.  Be prepared, however, for the AMers to look down their noses
>at a low level modulated rig.

The amount of distortion produced by an AN612 IC modulator chip is
_substantially_ lower than that found in traditional plate modulated AM
transmitters.  The reason why plate modulation is distortion-prone is to
be found in the writings of Eimac's John Reinartz.  //  The lowest
distortion AM I hear on the ham bands is produced by modern transceivers
and  linear amplifiers in the hands of enlightened radio operators.  The
trouble with the "good old days" is that we tend to overlook the ungood
parts.  Plate-modulated audio was understandable enough, however, it was
undoubtedly somewhat distorted.  .  .  Remember the sweet ozone smell
generated by those delightful mercury-vapor rectifiers?.  Welcome to
Cancerville.

Rich...