[AMPS] Properties of plastics at 10 GHz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Properties of plastics at 10 GHz
From: realex@flash.net (bob alexander)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 06:23:58 -0500
By coincidence I was working on a project involving use of plastics
at near 10 GHz when the original post was made.  Ill say again,
Rich (and you) got it wrong.  Nylon, vinyl, or delrin are poor
absorbers at 10 GHz.
After reading Jon's post and agreeing with him I realized I had
everything I needed to verify it on my work bench.
I measured insertion loss of a piece of waveguide then plugged it
with delrin 1/2 Wave thick at the test freq and again checked
insertion loss of the waveguide.  After calculating out the mismatch
losses caused by the delrin plug I had the same insertion loss as
before.  A plug several wavelengths long gave the same results.
73, Bob, W5AH