[AMPS] Properties of plastics at 10 GHz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Properties of plastics at 10 GHz
From: kz5qdx@communique.net (Douglas Bradford)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:40:17 -0500
This was posted on the reflector, that is why I am replying
here.

Jon, If you would like me to, I still have that letter'on
file...
Yes it was 2 hours, my apology for the 2 hour mistake but
that still to long to work a station, inexperienced
operator.l
had to learn. I did not start a polished operator by a long
shot. Nor did I try to tell others how much power they need.
On many of the web DX sites, they have the DX magazine
100 most wanted countries. You may already have some and
don't know it but S9 is not rare.  The Dx 100 is the guide
what is considered rare world wide and really only about 25
are really rare. But it is a fair gauge and WB4NGB has a
site.

http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wd4ngb

looking for the FCC Proposal and saw the  DX100 on his site.
BTW he has a real gud site.  I bookmarked it for later.

Going back to find this letter I saw one where u ask how
am I working rare Dx on 100 watts and a Dipole.

But in the letter I am now looking at.  I had remarked that
if u really wanted to feel Humble try putting a G5RV up
at 15 feet at the apex. I had been running 1 at that height
since Andrew took down my 110' tower and Beam 7ele.

Ur answer was :"But why would I bother lowering my
G5RV to 15 feet when it is at 35?  U had already said
earlier that u were working rare DX with a dipole.

Today you replied "Why'd it take two hours?  Well, I
was using a cheapo TS-130 with 100 watts and
an old vertical at the time. "

My Question is which antenna did you use ?

Again I see no insult in this either, maybe I am wrong
Since u were so emphatic about 2 rather than 4 I went
and checked. That is where I found dipoles mentioned.

However, I do have this to say since you had such a
outburst earlier.  Since when is disagreeing with some one
a insult.  And when I said it was not it the top 200 that
is for information not to make fun of you or insult you
or call u names, I left that in  school over quite a few
years ago. If u want to think Japan Canada and Mexico
are all rare, that is ur privilege.
If u want to call the USA rare that is ur privilege'

Jon, I spend more time helping fellows work dx than I
work. It's  new ones for them. I just work new bands
til the P 5 comes up.  DX is my thing like amps are urs.
I learn by listening, never by talking. and reading not
typing

Now u often point out errors to others and they don't react
the way that u did. I made a lu lu a couple of weeks ago,
I did not proof read.  No one made a big deal it A few
remarks were made and they always are.  When you put
it out, u open urself up to criticism.

This is my last posting on this subject, after one last
question. You may answer or not answer, it does not
matter. this is the last I will write on It.

When u said it was 2 hours instead of 4  I went back and
found the note and you were correct and you got my apology.
However, while looking, I found, u had said about working
the DX with a dipole.  Then I found the note about the G5RV
being at 35 feet.  Now today, u  said --------on a old
verticle.
The Dipole and G5RV can be one and the same but the
Vertcle is not a dipole. So did u work it on the G5RV or the
old Verticle ?  They are not the same.

No more DX discussion on this reflector. I am on both of
the dx reflectors. If any one wants carry it any further,
which
I see no need for, u may post me on either one.

My apologies for so much being on the reflector.

=======================================

Jon Ogden wrote:

> To you guys who don't think I read messages:
>
> >BTW Jon, that  " ( rare) DX" that took u 4 hours to work> >and proud
of --  is not in the 200 most wanted countries.

> For one please don't bring a personal insult from a
personal message into
> the public group.  I take offense to that.
>
> Secondly, the DX did NOT take 4 hours as you claim.  TWO
hours was that.
> And last time I checked Sao Tome was not a super active
country, maybe
> it's not rare as some islands, but give me a break.  So
you have more DX
> countries than I do and you're bored.  To me it was rare.
Sheesh!  Why'd
> it take two hours?  Well, I was using a cheapo TS-130 with
100 watts and
> an old vertical at the time.  It's like fishing.  Come off
your high
> horse.
> >

> >> I hate to say it, but Rich is right on this one. The
problem very often
> >> is that Jon does not read the original messages
properly. In this case,
> >> Rich never said that the styrofoam heats up.
>
> Gerrard,
>
> I DID read Rich's message.  And I still hold to what I
said.  OK, so I
> mis-read his statements on styrene.  I'll give you that,
but don't
> crucify me for it.  Sheesh.  I still feel I am correct
about the
> properties of plastics at various frequencies, etc.  I
apologize for
> reading a message wrong and screwing up your day.
>
> Give me a break.
>
> And to those who supported me, Thank you.
>
> Jon
> KE9NA

> Jon Ogden
>
> jono@enteract.com
> www.qsl.net/ke9na

73  Brad  KZ5Q
Long  Live  CW
Preferred  Mode
10mtr#97 CW WAZ
 No-SSB International (tm)
Member Number 1,000,034
Believe It (tm)

" It is what you do in private that shows the person you
are"

--

73  Brad  KZ5Q
Long  Live  CW