[AMPS] 3-phase fan motor - help please

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-phase fan motor - help please
From: chris.tran@zetnet.co.uk (Chris W Tran)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:33:49 +0100
Tuesday 1/9/98

GM3WOJ = wrong !     W5AJ = correct !

Thanks to Robert W5AJ for continuing to question me about
having 2 phases at this QTH !
I was wrong !    I don't have 2 phases after all -
just what the local electricity company call 'split-phase'
- I walked up the hill to look at the pole-mounted transformer,
and there are only 2 wires feeding it from the 11kV overhead
lines.   There are 3 wires from the secondary i.e. 240-0-240v
and I now realise that I only have 1 phase, but 2 separate
'live' wires with a common neutral !

Oh well - I'll have to find a single-phase motor (need about
0.6HP) and connect it with a flexible shaft-coupler to the
existing fan assembly.

Thanks for your perseverance Robert - you saved me a lot of
wasted time !

73   Chris  GM3WOJ