[AMPS] High IMD Drivers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] High IMD Drivers
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 98 15:59:03 -0500
>> At 100 watts carrier, that puts the IM at about
>>0.4 watts.  Significant?  Sure, but not deadly.
>
>Maybe not deadly at HF, but much worse on VHF where the background noise
>levels are so much lower. That's a real issue for HF/VHF rigs because
>the same standards do not apply... I mean OUR standards, not the FCC's.

Ahhh....good point!  I had neglected the fact that the 847 operates at
VHF/UHF.  You are correct.

>The other question is how quickly the IM products go down into the
>noise. It's possible to live with the 3rd and 5th order if the higher-
>order IPs disappear. The real problem is when they hang up there,
>because even IMD at the -70 to -80dB level can cause a lot of trouble to
>other VHF weak-signal operators if it's spreading right across the band.

Yep.  Right again, Ian.  For weak signal stuff, the IM could kill other
stations.  I stand corrected on that one.

>>You get what you pay for in rigs.
>
>As far as IMD is concerned, it's "we" - all the rest of us - who get
>what "you" pay for!

Well, since I bought an FT-1000, I think I've done my part to clean up
the neighborhood! :-)

>>So if you compared the FT-847
>>to an FT-1000D, you'd probably see a huge difference in IM performance.
>>
>That's certainly true, in that only top-of-the-line rigs use 28V devices
>and power supplies because of the added expense.

Yes.  And better devices are used in the more expensive rigs as well.
The nice thing about the 28 V devices is that you can get one that can
provide plenty of power and a decent bias current.  So you can bias them
a bit heavier and improve IM products a lot.  Sure, efficiency goes down,
but everything is a tradeoff.

>Also, several recent QST reviews of HF transceivers seem to suggest that
>the IMD performance of solid-state finals is quite poorly controlled in
>production.

Not at all surprising.  Probably very few ham transceiver production
lines use statistical process control to manage all their manufacturing
processes.  And again, it's the cost issue.  The consumer wants a cheap
product.  So corners are cut and the product justs "gets by."

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden