[AMPS] high IMD drivers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] high IMD drivers
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:16:01 -0600
Hello Peter...

I don't have a set of FCC rules here at home, but my recollection is that
(in fairly typical FCC fashion) there is no explicit "dB" IMD requirement,
at least for amps. Think rules say "use good engineering practice" -
whatever that may mean at a given time! (Can someone confirm or correct
that?)

While many exciter/transceivers seem to be no better than -25 dBc & some
may be as bad as -20 dBc, I think FCC would frown on a maximum-legal-power
amplifier type acceptance application showing that level. Certainly hope
so! Nowdays, to the best of my knowledge, they rarely if ever request a
sample amp to do their own lab tests -- too buried in cable, cellular, and
similar issues I guess.)

73,    Dick