[AMPS] output on pair 3xc800a7's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] output on pair 3xc800a7's
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:54:14 -0600
Hi Tom...

1. The main differences between a standard (unmodified) ALPHA 78 and a 374A
are (a) 78 has three 8874 tubes while 374A has two, and (b) the 78 has full
break-in/QSK using a vacuum T/R relay while the 374A uses a conventional
T/R relay. The 78 power transformer has a core of tape-wound Hipersil, with
generally rounded contours and a shiny black encapsulant. Frankly I'm not
absolutely certain of this because I may be thinking of the older ALPHA
374, but I believe the 374A has a conventional xfmr with a big rectangular
laminated steel core and varnish finish.

2. Two 3CX800A7 tubes are virtually identical with three 8874s in
capability and characteristics (except heater voltage), so the conversion
is logical and safe now that the tube prices are about equal and Eimac has
chosen to emphasize the newer '800 for the long run.

3. Most likely reasons for your amp requiring perhaps somewhat high drive
power would seem to be (a) low heater voltage (more than 5% either high or
low also is likely to shorten tube life) OR, and probably more likely (b)
the input circuit. Most (or maybe all) current model 3CX800 amps have tuned
input and presumably are designed to meet FCC rules which stipulate that
1500 watts output MUST require AT LEAST 50W of drive (i.e., <15 dB gain).

The 78 (and 374A) have untuned inputs with resistive padding to reduce gain
to <15 dB AND to protect each tube from receiving more than ~25W drive with
the 100W tube-PA xcvrs typical in 1977 when they were designed. In the
2-tube 374A this pad was 10-470ohm/2w comp resistors (47 ohms/20W) in
parallel with the cathode rf input. The 78 had only 5-470 ohm resistors.
The pad was located under the tube deck and air-cooled by the tube blower.

If your amp was actually a 374A and has the 47 ohm pad, cutting out 5 of
the original 10 the resistors is desirable with a pair of 3CX800s and
should decrease drive power requirements somewhat.

Also, the untuned input makes gain and efficiency somewhat dependent on
drive cable length and band. The 78 and 374A generally work best on all
bands with a 3-4' (maximum) length of RG-58 from the transceiver. I think
you should be able to get ~1500W peak output (possibly slightly less on 10
and/or 160M) with 80-100W of drive.

Good luck!

73     Dick  W0ID