[AMPS] output on pair 3xc800a7's

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] output on pair 3xc800a7's
From: W6RU@aol.com (W6RU@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 02:06:03 EDT
Tom,

One way to tell which amp it was to start with is...
78A has vacumm output relay and hypersil transformer.
374A has standard open frame relay and standard open frame transformer.
In either case, with the modification, the output is gonna be about the same.

What you describe sounds very familiar to me...I have modified my 374A with a
pair of 3CX800A7's....had to mount the fillament transformer on the back
pannel.
On a good day it will on most bands run 1500 watts out without having to beat
the tubes up with drive. Your output of 1400 watts sounds good to me. In
comparing this pair of 3CX800's to other amps you have to take into
consideration one maybe two things...
one...the HV is about 400 volts lower than say the 87A or 89...
two... the modern 3CX800 amp uses a tuned input...which does increase
efficiency some.
The higher drive requirement in at least my amp is because I chose to keep the
original input toriod and swamping resistors in the circuit as I felt this
would provide a better match for the modern solid state exciters and I found
similiar to what you stated it takes around 80 to 100 watts drive for me to
get the 1500 watts out. This IS in the bandpass mode...maybe your bandpass
networks were not retuned for the new tubes ? I do not see much difference in
output power between bandpass mode (if near optimal frequency) and manual
tune.

If it is at all possible for you to take a couple digital pics of your
modified amp I would be most interested in seeing it. I will forward to you
privately a couple pics of mine as I don't know how the reflector would handle
the jpg files.

Hope some of this helps...

73,
Terry - W6RU