[AMPS] Purpose of CW/SSB switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Purpose of CW/SSB switch
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 00:31:59 -0400

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:36:22 -0400 "frank ayers jr" <LOMAX1@prodigy.net>
writes:

>>What is the true purpose of the CW/SSB switch on many of the older
>linear
>amps ?
>
>I've seen these and I think they would change the class, for example,
>from
>AB (linear) to class C (CW).
>
>You'd get better efficiency for CW with class C

Plus added chances of TVI, key clicks and assorted other possibilities
guaranteed to make one unpopular with the neighbors.
It may be noticed by some old timers....but the reduction in many TVI
type complaints was due to linear versus Class C operation in rigs and
amps starting around the late 50's or so.  Sure, better TV sets, coax TV
feedlines helped but so did getting rid of that trashy Class C square
wave!

And before I get tarred and feathered by the Class C crowd....I run a
Clegg Zeus on 6 and 2M AM.....in a rural area with an excellent CATV
system. I would not want to try it in an urban enviroment tho.

73  Carl   KM1H

>Frank
>W2FCA
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]